Information for 2022
The Trust is excited to announce the competition will be back in 2022. Students will have the opportunity to compete online for their region. Scroll down this page to decide which region you enter in.
The Regional Finalists will be the winner of an online competition. The team of two students and their teacher (as Team Manager), will compete at the National Grand Final which takes place each year in early September.
A huge thank you to all our wonderful sponsors, without whom the NSSCC wouldn't be possible.
PLEASE NOTE: All competitors will need to comply with government regulations around holding a current vaccination passports in order to compete at the NSSCC National Grand Final.
Click here for CADTrust COVID Policy
For more information or to express interest for 2022 please e-mail email@example.com
NSSCC 2022 Competitor Guidelines
The National Secondary Schools Culinary Challenge is an annual event run by the Culinary Arts Development Trust. The competition is designed to promote the next generation of culinary talent, provide career pathways for students and to foster relationships between secondary schools and the hospitality industry. By entering this regional event teams are competing for a place in the National Grand Final. Each of the eight regional competition winning teams will travel to Auckland to participate in a live cook off and experience the New Zealand Culinary Journey the following day.
The National Secondary Schools Culinary Challenge 2022
- School enters a regional event by 8th July 2022. The eight winning regional school teams will be announced on 25 July
- 2022. Regional school winners each receive a prize package worth over$1,000 and qualify for the NSSCC National Grand Final.
- Regional school finalists compete in the NSSCC National Grand Final 7th September.
- Winners are announced at the NSSCC Awards dinner on 7th September. Prizes worth over $12,000 will be awarded.
- Enter the online Regional events - see below.
- Log on to facebook and search for NSSCC – National Secondary Schools Culinary Challenge. Like us, and then follow updates or posts that assist with the journey to entering the online Regional competition.
The competition will be divided into eight (8) regions. The regions are shown below.
Auckland North / Northland
Auckland - South, East and West
Waikato / Bay of Plenty
Hawkes Bay / Poverty Bay / Gisborne
Taranaki / Whanganui / Manawatu
Wellington / Wairarapa / Kapiti Coast
Tasman / Nelson / Canterbury / Marlborough
Otago / Southland / Westcoast
Areas included in this region
All schools North of the Harbour Bridge
All South, East and West Auckland schools,
All schools in the Waikato and Bay of Plenty regions.
All schools in the Hawkes Bay, Poverty Bay and Gisborne regions.
All schools in the Taranaki, Whanganui, and Manawatu regions
All schools in the Wellington / Wairarapa / Kapiti Coast regions.
All schools in the Tasman / Nelson / Canterbury / Marlborough regions.
All schools in the Otago, Southland, and Westcoast regions.
Entering the Online Regional Events
A winning team will be chosen from each region. This team will represent their school and region at the NSSCC National Grand Final. Covid permitting, this will be a live cooking event.
For this reason, on entering the online regional event, the team and school commit to attending the final in Auckland, should Covid allow this to take place. There is a Covid contingency plan for the final that will be explained later in this document.
Regional Online Event Criteria
- A Team of two (2) students is to develop, produce and present an Entrée dish that can be made in 45 minutes.
- Two (2) identical portions of this dish must be able to be made within the 45-minute time frame.
- The dish MUST include New Zealand grown Beetroot as the principal component of the dish. It can also include other New Zealand grown fresh or frozen vegetables, as long as Beetroot is the hero of the dish. Protein ingredients can also be included.
- Once the dish is mastered it will need to be photographed. Three (3) photographs are required. One (1) from above and two (2) different ones from a 45⁰ angle.
- The recipe for the Entrée to be typed up on the template provided on the NSSCC website.
- A Description Card that briefly explains the Entrée to be typed up on the template provided on our website.
- The Team is to complete the competitor questionnaire sheet included in the entry pack.
- A photograph is required of the Team members and the Teacher. Students should, if possible, be wearing a Chef’s Jacket as this photograph may be required for media use. Students will be required to sign a media release clause on the entry form.
- Ensure all documents, photos are labelled with the name of the school.
- Ensure you review your entry before clicking submit.
Closing date for regional entries is: Friday 8th July 2022
The last day of Term 2.
Judging of regional online entries
Judging will take place over the two (2) week school term break.
Regional entries will be judged according to the Judges’ schedule that can be requested from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make sure this is read carefully so that teams are aware of how entries will be judged, as this may influence development and production of the Entrée.
Winners of each region will be announced on:
Monday 25th July (The first day of Term 3)
Regional winners’ prize package:
- The selected winners from each region will receive the following to assist with preparation for the National Grand Final in Auckland:
- A $500 Credit from Bidfood will be added to the school Bidfood Account to assist with the purchase of ingredients for training. If the school does not have a Bidfood account this can be organised.
- A $300 Restaurant Association voucher so the Team and their Teacher can go out to dinner as part of research towards developing their dishes for the Final.
- The two (2) students and their teacher will receive a Chef Jacket to wear for the National Grand Final.
- Online tutorials with the Head Judge to help with training and preparation for the final. July – September.
- A Backpack for each student and their teacher.
- A subsidy towards travel to Auckland if required.
- Accommodation for the Team and their Teacher for one or two nights depending on their region.
- Three tickets to the NSSCC Awards Dinner following the National Grand Final.
- An email address where any questions or queries can be asked from February – June. If clarification is needed at any time - No question is a silly one!!!!!
In addition, the top four students from each region will receive a Workmaster Knife valued at $130 each.